Embed AudioCopy and paste this HTML code into a webpage to embed Episode 144 of The Cipher.
Adrian Miller is the manager of Anderson .Paak, the rapper/singer/musician who rose to stardom after his show-stopping appearances on Dr. Dre’s new album, Compton: A Soundtrack By Dr. Dre. But there’s a whole lot more to Adrian’s story than helping to guide Anderson from obscurity to overseas tours and late-night television appearances.
Adrian was at the epicenter of the Los Angeles rap scene throughout the 1990s. He played a key role in the rise of acts like Coolio, Freestyle Fellowship, Funkdoobiest, Cypress Hill, House of Pain, The Pharcyde, and many, many more. His time in LA reads like a who’s-who of artists, producers, executives, and even movie moguls. After helping to get the L.A. rap scene on its feet, Miller took a job at Warner Brothers as the Senior Vice President of A&R, working directly under legendary executive and manager-to-the-stars Benny Medina. We talked to him about his entire crazy journey, from getting his first real radio job in Oklahoma all the way to making deals with Dre.
Tracks featured in this episode:
- Wu-Tang Clan, “Wu-Tang Clan Ain’t Nuthing ta Fuck Wit”
- Tha Dogg Pound, “Dogg Pound Gangstaz”
- Ras Kass, “Nature of the Threat”
- Talib Kweli, “Holy Moly”
- The Pharcyde, “Ya Mama”
- The Pharcyde, “Soul Flower”
- Skatemaster Tate, “Justice (To The Bass)”
- House of Pain, “Jump Around”
- Soul Assassins f/DJ Muggs, Dr. Dre, & B Real, “Puppet Master”
- The Cipher Episode 88: Divine Styler
- Funkdoobiest, “Bow Wow Wow”
- Biohazard and Onyx, “Judgement Night”
- Apollo 440, “Charlie’s Angels 2000 – Apollo 440 w/o Dialog”
- Judgement Night Rant
- Anderson .Paak, “Seven Nation Army”
- Billboard, “Watch Dr. Dre Welcome Anderson .Paak to Aftermath Roster”
- Nxworries (Anderson Paak & Knxwledge), “Suede”